Thursday, August 20, 2009

Being sick

Yes, I know...I haven't been here in a couple of weeks. I bet you are thinking that it's because I haven't learned anything. Well, you are only partially right. I learned a few things in the past couple of weeks. The problem is that I have been sick. Really sick. I woke up last Tuesday and felt like a school bus had run over me. Ok...maybe one of those smaller buses, but a bus nonetheless. Off to the doctor I went in my groggy state and waited three minutes (yes, THREE) in the "room" with other sick people until the nurse called me to the back. I think the color of my face (or lack thereof) and the charcoal briquets under my eyes made the receptionist feel sorry for me. The nurse ushered me to the scale. Ugh. I hate scales. Especially when I am sick. But hey, I lost two more pounds. Go me.

Then I sat in the next "room" where the nurse checked my temperature and blood pressure (both good) and then asked me about my "condition". I actually saw her write "school bus ran over her" on my chart. I couldn't imagine what that might look like to the doctor but I didn't say a word. Quite honestly it was hard for me to talk. She left, so I kicked back on the examination table, thinking the doctor would be at least ten minutes, and the second my head hit the pillow, he knocked on the door. He listened to my chest, checked my ears and nose, then told me I needed an x-ray. Ugh.

I walked to the radiation room and had to remove my bra and maneuver my body into contortionist shapes for the photos. Not my best hair day, either.

I napped for about ten minutes then the doctor told me I had bronchitis/borderline pneumonia.

"If you had waited one more day, young lady, you would have been in the hospital."

All I heard was "young lady"...I'm not that young. He wrote me a book of prescriptions, getting carpal tunnel in the process I am sure, and told me to take off the rest of the week. No problem. Work shmork. I needed a bed.

I got my prescriptions filled, went home, ate some soup, took my meds, and slept for about six days. I watched a lot of Food Network, too.

I came back to work this week and have been crawling through the days, inching my way to 5:00 one minute at a time. I still feel pretty lousy but not like I have been hit by a bus...more like a lawnmower at this point.

I vow to begin my "Things I Learned" again today. Unless I actually do get hit by a bus...

No comments: