Friday, August 7, 2009

Reading and other hazards of boredom

I am a reader. Bookstores are for me what places like Home Depot and Lowe's are for the Dabber. I walk through the doors, the cool air kisses my face and fills my nose with the freshness of paper and ink. New books, old books...I love them all. And I buy them. Lots and lots of them. I am studying to be a librarian and have a veritable library in my house, so I rarely go to a library. Sad, I know.

If someone I trust recommends a book, I buy it. I might not read it right away (hence my "own it, haven't read it" line), but I will file it somewhere on a shelf to read it at some point. I tend to read several books at a time, too. I have books stashed in various rooms in the house, and depending on my mood or location, I will read the book that happens to be convenient. Right now I am reading four books. Yes, four.

I am reading John Sandford's "Mortal Prey". I LOVE Sandford's novels. They get me in the mood to work on my novel and the story is always wonderful.
I am also reading C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet." Several of my friends recommended this one for me. I don't usually like fantasies or even science fiction, but so far I love this one. Perhaps it is because of Lewis' gift with words.
Another book I started a friend loaned to me and it is called, "Some Wildflower in My Heart" by Jamie Langston Turner. I love it. I tend to enjoy 1st person narratives with quirky characters. So far, this one is a winner.

I just started "Seeing Voices" by Oliver Sacks. It is a book about the language of the deaf. The first few pages had me mesmerized...but then I left the room and picked up "Mortal Prey". If only I could finish something...










1 comment:

Okiemou12 said...

Have read "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Seeing Voices". I much prefer Oliver Sack's "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat", though. You must read that one ... whenever you get done reading the four books you are currently reading! (WOW)

I know what you mean about bookstores...I feel that way about office supply stores -- all the pens, pencils, paper, markers, hole-punches...I need to get to Office Depot! ;)